Sunday, February 3, 2013

Household Cleaning Recipes

Received a few recipes today that I'd like to share with you all.

The first comes from my cousin Amy H. She makes homemade toothpaste for her family, and sent me the recipe for it. She says it stores well in up-cycled hand cream jars, or even empty baby food jars (sans baby food, of course!) The recipe is simple enough, and sounds pretty good! If you try this recipe before me, let me know how you like it!
  
Homemade Toothpaste Recipe

2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
3 tablespoons baking soda
5-8 drops of peppermint oil
a pinch of stevia powder OR 
                                                              5-6 drops of stevia liquid


The second recipe was sent to me by my cousin Sarah G., courtesy of Budget101.com. It seems like a low-cost alternative to expensive dishwasher tablets. Plus, it doesn't call for hard-to-get ingredients. Below is the materials you'll need. Click on the Budget101 link above for the full step-by-step instructions. I, for one, am excited to give these a try!


3 - 16 cube plastic ice cube trays 1 - 54-55 oz box of washing soda / detergent booster
1 - 76 oz box of borax
1 - 2 lb carton of epsom salts
1- bottle reconstituted lemon juice

Do you have any handy cleaning recipes, tips, or tricks? If so, please share a comment below!

2 comments:

  1. I don't have the patience to 'make my own' toothpaste or dishwasher tablets! I much prefer to squeeze a tube of already formulated tooth degreaser or open a spout on my dishwasher detergent. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth for me to make it myself. I'd rather pay the extra cents for the added convenience of allowing me the extra nap time I need! lol Thanks anyway, Sweetie!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong - I love the convenience toothpaste tubs offer. But, i think it would be fun to try my hand at making some......just like with the butter. I am looking forward to making some dishwasher tabs though, because I haven't been able to find any store-bought ones that I am happy with. Plus, the cost to quantity ratio of this recipe is much more budget friendly than store-bought detergent. But, again, I think it will be fun. If you don't have the time and/or patience, it wouldn't be fun for you, thus it wouldn't be worth doing. :D

      Delete