Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Clean your laundry without soiling your budget!

Made a huge batch of laundry detergent today! Great big thanks to friends Jon and Laura B. for planting the seed in my brain over a year ago! Super easy, super cheap! The detergent is powerful enough that you only use one tablespoon per load of laundry (2 T. for REALLY dirty loads). I made 6 quarts (equal to 384 tablespoons!!) Due to my husband's skin allergies, I had been using All Free & Clear, which is $10.77 per 96 loads at Walmart. (Tide Free & Gentle is $17.97.) It would take four bottles to equal the same cleaning power of this detergent, totaling $43.08 & $71.88, respectively. What's in it: 8 cups Borax ($3.99 / 76 oz. box 20 Mule Team Borax - Walmart) 8 cups WASHING soda (2.99 / 55 oz. box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda - Walmart) 4 bars soap (Fels Naptha, Ivory, Dial, etc.) ($4 - $5 - Walmart) 1 cup booster (OxiClean, Sun, etc.) - ($1 at Dollar Store) Total cost: Approximately 13.00
I was so worried it would either not dissolve completely, leaving residue on the clothes, smell funny, or make the clothes feel scratchy, but I was WRONG! They smell & feel wonderful, and I've never had a problem with it not dissolving. And, since it doesn't have any "extra" additives, it hasn't irritated my husband's skin. I cannot stress JUST HOW EASY this detergent is to make!!! Dump the Borax, Soda, and Booster into a big container. A huge mixing bowl, a clean (and empty) trashcan, or a double-bagged paper bag. Next, grate the bars of soap. I used my food processor and the "cheese grater" insert. Put all the soap-cheese into another large container. Then, with the chopping insert in your food processor, add some soap and some powder. Blend together. Empty into whatever bucket or container you will be designating as your official "detergent keeper". Repeat this process until you have blended all the soap and powder together and have it in your detergent keeper. Cover the container securely and shake well to thoroughly mix all the contents. You should end up with a beautifully speckled mix.
As I stated above, use about 1 tablespoon per load of clothes. Two for extra-large or heavily soiled loads. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment